Our live and interactive programs can be brought to your school or location of choice in our traveling ExploraDome. Schedule multiple grades (PreK-12) and a variety of programs on the same day.
Standard Rate: $200 per hour
Length: 6-10 shows per day, shows can vary in length to accommodate your schedule
Group Size: 32 people/show
Booking a visit
Get ready to explore the universe as you never have before! Please see our FAQ below for additional details.
- Ensure your facility can meet the visit requirements needed to house the dome.
- Review our program descriptions & costs or let us create a custom lesson to meet your needs.
- Check our Google Calendar for ExploraDome availability. Reservations must be made at least three weeks before the visit. Availability for visits outside of the Twin Cities metro may be limited beyond what is on the calendar.
- Email us at email@example.com or call (612) 626-9660 with the following information:
Choice of dates
- Once final program details are finalized, we'll send you a visit agreement for signature.
- Download materials to prepare your students for the visit.
Winter travel policy
We may postpone a visit due to extreme weather conditions. These decisions are made based on the National Weather Service's alert system and local school closings. We will use the contact number you provide to notify you in the event of a postponement, and will reschedule the visit at no cost.
All ExploraDome scholarships for the 2017-2018 school year have been awarded. Please check back in this fall for details for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Changes in the Sky Grades: PreK-2
- The Solar System Grades: 2-8
- Motions of the Sky Grades: 3-5
- Zoom! From the Earth to the Edge of the Universe Grades: 3-12
- Life in the Universe Grades: 6-12
- Seasons, Phases, and Eclipses Grades: 6-12
- Two Small Pieces of Glass: The Amazing Telescopes Grades: 4-8 (recorded)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I see an ExploraDome show?
Our ExploraDome Outreach program has a traveling dome which is primarily used for all-day visits reserved by schools or other community groups. Often at events hosted by community groups the ExploraDome will be open to the public.
How much does the ExploraDome cost?
The cost to schools is $200/hour plus travel expenses for destinations outside the Twin Cities Metro Area.
Do you travel outside of the Twin Cities?
Yes. For travel requiring an overnight stay, priority is given to schools/groups reserving two or more consecutive days. This may be at the same school, within the same district, or with a neighboring district. Travel during the months of November-February is subject to approval. Please note that we may postpone a visit due to extreme weather conditions. These decisions are made based on the National Weather Service's alert system and local school closings. We will use the contact number you provide to notify you in the event of a postponement, and will reschedule the visit at no cost.
For what ages is the ExploraDome appropriate?
All ages, from PreK through adult.
How long are presentations and can we change the type of program for each group?
The recommended length is 30-45 minutes, but you can determine the best show length to fit your schedule. You may also schedule different programs of varying lengths within the same day.
Can the ExploraDome stay at a school for an after school or evening event?
Yes. Any programming after the school day is an extra $200/hour and subject to staff availability.
Can I schedule the ExploraDome for an evening or weekend event?
Yes. The rate is the same for evening and weekends; $200/hour, minimum three hours. Reservations must be made three weeks in advance.
Who is responsible for setting up and taking down the dome?
Bell Museum staff give the presentations and do most of the set up/take down. However, we require three people to assist in unloading and loading the equipment.
Where should we set up the dome?
The dome is 14 feet tall and 25 feet in diameter. State Fire Marshall regulations require a room of minimum dimensions 31' x 31' and a 14' ceiling free of any low-lying fixtures. Please measure the height of the ceiling if you think it might be close! We will not be able to set up if the minimum dimensions are not met. A gym, auditorium, or cafeteria is a good place for the dome. Please set it up in a quiet place, with no other activities in the same room.
Can the dome be set up outside?
No. The dome and projection equipment are not weatherproof.