Stop by Sketch Night!
The Bell Museum invites sketch artists (and budding sketch artists) of all skill levels to get up close with pieces from our collection.
Each first Thursday of the month during the academic year, the Bell Museum hosts Sketch Night as part of BIG Thursday programming. The Bell determines a specific theme providing a variety of subjects and potential techniques with which to work. The evening's also include demonstrations from special guest artists. In addition to items representing the monthly theme, participants are welcome to sketch anything else in the museum that intrigues or inspires! Sketching activities begin at 6:30p.m. and last until 8:30p.m. Bring your utensils, let the inspiration flow and have fun!
The next official Sketch Night is September 5, 2013, but artists are always welcome to visit the museum to sketch and explore the collections in the Touch and See Discovery Room.
2012-13 Academic Year Sketch Night Sketching Themes
- September 6, 2012: Vintage Teaching Models, with guest artist Jennifer Menken
- October 4, 2012: Color, with guest artist Don Colley
- November 1, 2012: Dioramas, with guest artist Don Luce
- December 6, 2012: "It's a Small World" (objects as seen through a microscope), with guest artist Jennifer Menken
- January 3, 2013: Texture
- February 7, 2013: Soils and the Earth, with guest artists Gary and Suzy Zahradhka
- March 7, 2013: Seven Continents, with guest artist Liz Carlson
- April 4, 2013: Armor (think shells, scales, thorns, etc.)
- May 2, 2013: Animal Architecture